SCWIST Canadian Scientist Expansion Deck
2018 – (See Cards | Deck Info | Download Deck | Download Rules Only | Purchase – TBA)…
This expansion deck was designed as part of a youth leadership program at the Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology (SCWIST). Ellen Tamblyn was in grade 12 when she created this expansion pack as a way to promote different STEM career fields to youth. She wanted to highlight Canadian female scientists from a variety of fields and time periods. Note that this deck cannot be played by itself, and requires the WWEST Starter Deck.
Irene Ayako Uchida1917-2013, CANADA
– World class genetics and Down syndrome researcher.
– Discovered the link between X-rays and birth defects in pregnant women.
– Was interned during WWII.
– Developed the Seager Equation which is used to estimate the number of habitable planets in the solar system.
– Her research has introduced many new ideas to the field of exoplanet characterization.
– Planetary scientist specializing in the analysis of the surface of Mars. Part of the science team of the Mars Opportunity rover.
– Also a professional photographer, and very active in science outreach.
Harriet Brooks1876-1933, CANADA
– Canada’s first woman nuclear physicist.
– Worked with Thompson, Rutherford, and Curie.
– Was forced to resign from her position as a university physics tutor once she got engaged.
– Created the world’s first database of flesh-eating insects.
– Her research has greatly helped in solving a variety of crimes.
Alice Wilson1881 - 1964, CANADA
– First Canadian woman geologist.
– First woman to be elected a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
– Wrote a famous children’s book on geology.