Helen Irene BattleCANADA
• 1st woman to earn a marine biology PhD in Canada.
• Pioneered the use of fish eggs to study cancer-causing substances in cell development.
• 1st zoologist to use laboratory research in marine biology.
• Aims to alleviate energy poverty in Africa.
• Designs and develops innovative solar panels that also act as building materials through her company Strauss Energy Ltd.
• Canada’s first female Indigenous general surgeon.
• Strives to improve access to quality healthcare in northern First Nations communities.
• Conducts cutting-edge research on neutrinos and dark matter in nuclear particle astrophysics.
• Aims to discover what the universe is made of and why there is more matter than antimatter.
• Paved the way toward the shortest and most intense laser pulses created by humankind.
•Influenced research scientists investigating how forces act with matter at extreme conditions.
• Calls herself a “laser jock.”
• Famed pioneer in microelectronics chip design.
• She is a strong activist for equal opportunities and employment protections for transgender people.
• Her work formed the foundation of modern digital technology systems.