• Researches how types of particles in the atmosphere change fog properties.
• Enriches our understanding of the forces that affect climate systems in the Arctic.
• Co-founder and CEO of Canada Learning Code.
• Teaches digital literacy to women to reduce the technological gap between men and women.
• An all-female expedition to Antarctica.
• Rallies scientists to join the climate change fight.
• Champions collaboration, connection, and leadership in science.
Irene Ayako Uchida1917-2013, CANADA
– World class genetics and Down syndrome researcher.
– Discovered the link between X-rays and birth defects in pregnant women.
– Was interned during WWII.
– Developed the Seager Equation which is used to estimate the number of habitable planets in the solar system.
– Her research has introduced many new ideas to the field of exoplanet characterization.
– Planetary scientist specializing in the analysis of the surface of Mars. Part of the science team of the Mars Opportunity rover.
– Also a professional photographer, and very active in science outreach.